Saturday, December 26, 2009

Pictures of pain and progress...

I realized that I haven't put any pictures of lab results, etc. on here in awhile. So, I thought that I would show the good, the bad, the ugly of what it is I'm fighting.


Here goes: This is the fluorescent stain of my blood that was done in June showing an entire "biofilm community" in my blood. The other little dots are biofilm, but that big one has all sorts of bugs (as the doc calls them) in there so we went after that biofilm hard!
Now, here is the fluorescent stain of my blood done late November:

This shows smaller biofilm communities and is still considered "substantial biofilm" but is much smaller than what we saw in June. See, progress in pictures!

Now the next photos won't look like progress, but they do actually show progress in a backwards kind of way.
This picture is a special stain of my red blood cells taken in January of 2009:
They look somewhat normal for red blood cells. Red blood cells should be circular or somewhat round without rough edges. The yellow arrow in the picture is pointing to Bartonella that is in or around or attached to a red blood cell. Please understand that the Bartonella is hiding inside the biofilm so well that I am STILL testing negative for it in my blood work - even though we have a picture of it IN my red blood cells. Just goes to show how hard this stuff is to get rid of and to get out of your body.
Here is the same stain done this month:


As you can see the red blood cells don't look as circular. In fact, some are extremely jagged with spikes and all sorts of bad looking stuff. This is what the Babesia is doing to my red blood cells. It attacks them and tears them apart. I've explained how red blood cells carry oxygen all around your body and these torn little pieces aren't doing that. This is what causes the lack of oxygen to my brain and we think is what causes my seizures. What is the good news in all of that? Well, that we broke down enough biofilm to get the Babesia out so we can fight it. Now my tired body that is overwhelmed with Influenza A and Mono just can't take on Babesia very well right now. We have had to slow my treatment down immensely due to the seizures...a.k.a. my "speed bumps".


For now we are going to try just doing IV antibiotics in the morning and then IV fluids in the afternoon to help my body rid itself of the toxins. These torn red blood cells are also what are collecting in my spleen and making it swell a bit. So we want to flush my blood with fluids to get all of this out and hopefully keep my seizures at bay by doing that and adding that sublingual anti-seizure medication.


We'll just keep on praying and God will keep doing His work as He leads me and my doctor in our mutual decisions on what is best for my body. We cannot push right now, but we can plan for what comes next. We can try everything we know to keep the seizures from coming on, I can keep on forcing myself to stay conscious in order to stay out of any ERs or hospitals. When you lose consciousness, you have to go to the ER so they can make sure your respiratory system is working and that your brain is getting enough oxygen to keep everything working. God has yet to fail me - He is with me every step of the way, even when I often think I am making these decisions on my own. I'm not...He's just giving me ideas and I'm slow to recognize and thank Him for all He does.


Basically, these pictures show progress. Slow progress in some areas, painful progress in others, but progress nonetheless. So, the day after Christmas I thought I would share my Christmas gift of God's work in my body - His progress for me physically and His strength for me when I lack my own. He is at work in us everyday people, we just have to choose whether we listen to Him or tune Him out. I've been known to do both very well - really, haven't we all? I am trying to force myself to listen to that small quiet voice before He has to really YELL to get my attention. All I can say is that I am thankful for His grace, love, and forgiveness for all the times He has to YELL before I listen. You'd think I'd hear His whispers now that I'm so sound sensitive :)

Closing with a few really good quotes from some Christian authors and then of course, a couple of Bible verses that are on me right now:


"God walks with us...He scoops us up in His arms or simply sits with us in silent strength until we cannot avoid the awesome recognition that yes, even now, He is here." Gloria Gaither


"Regardless of the need, God comforts. He is the God of all comfort! That's His specialty." Charles R. Swindoll


"Trials have no value or intrinsic meaning in themselves. It's the way we respond to those trials that makes all the difference." Joni Eareckson Tada


"The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18


"Wealth and honor come from you; you are the ruler of all things. In your hands are strength and power to exalt and to give strength to all. Now, our God, we give you thanks, and praise your glorious name." 1 Chronicles 29:112-13


Hope you all have a wonderful week and a blessed New Year!!!

Love-
K

3 comments:

momxx3 said...

Sending lots of hugs and well wishes your way. Praying for continued progress and praying harder for it to speed up a little. I love you very much. To God the glory.

momxx3 said...

By the way, the above is Stacye....forgot to put my name. Didn't know if you know who momxx3 is. LOL

Unknown said...

I live in Tuscaloosa ALabama. I my husband, myself and my two younger boys all have a biofilm. I was doing some research on the internet and your story came up. It is the same as mine. Please get in contact with me so we can discuss further. They have diagnoised us with lyme disease but will not tell us any further information other than i have a biofilm please help. my email is superwifemonica@gmail.com or monicaloveskeith@yahoo.com thanks so much Monica