Sunday, November 7, 2010

Post surgery update

Surgery went well. However the ultrasound didn't show the adhesions from my gallbladder to my kidney. It also hadn't shown how swollen it was. But, good news is that it is out! The surgeon said I may still experience some symptoms for the first week or so after surgery. For instance, not being able to eat normal portion sizes of food without pain. I do know that the horrendous heartburn is already gone and my back feels better. My incisions did bleed for a bit after surgery and my white shirt is now stained with blood. I think it makes me look tough - haha. I also had a wonderful surgeon and great nurses who let me keep my sunglasses and headphones on until the anesthesia kicked in and they were back on when I woke up in recovery. I'm very thankful for that because the bright lights and noises in recovery could have easily caused a seizure! So, again, the Lord always goes before me and this time was no exception!

The bad part of the whole ordeal was the pain medication. After having passed over 100 kidney stones and having had 20 surgeries, well, I've developed a high tolerance for pain medications. The nurse in recovery couldn't believe how much I was still hurting after two doses of morphine. There are many instances where someone could fake pain just to get pain medication, but you just can't fake pain when you're coming out of anesthesia so they know it's not that you WANT morphine, it's that you need it. They ended up having to give me a 3rd dose and then later switched to a dose of toradol (another strong pain killer). M talked to the surgeon about my problems with pain medications and told her we still had some Fentanyl pain patches from a kidney stone 7 months ago. She wouldn't be able to prescribe such a strong drug to me for a minor surgery but she went over with M what medications I could take while on Fentanyl and what to avoid. I tried to just take the Lortab pain pills she prescribed because I honestly HATE pain medication, but I got no relief at all with the pills. After 36 hours of watching me wincing in pain and crying out each time I moved, M finally told me he was going to put a pain patch on my back. I was hurting too much to argue about how I could "tough it out" so the patch was put to work. It works wonders and my incisions are now just sore and I can walk to the bathroom without bending over double!

Oh, my kidney function tests showed improvement this week. We actually didn't know if I would be able to have the surgery on Thursday since they wouldn't operate if my kidney function stayed the same or worsened. So, again - THANK YOU LORD - because I was desperate to have that gallbladder removed. My kidney function even improved enough for me to start on IV Doxycycline this week - YAY!


I just wanted to thank you all for your kind thoughts and sweet prayers! I know that God has gotten me through all of this and I continue to lean on Him to get over the next hurdle. I pray that you all feel His love and protection as you go through your own hurdles in your life. I feel very groggy from medication right now, but I feel more blessed than anything else. I can see that God is still leading me down a path and He has wonderful plans for me! I just have to be patient and keep leaning on Him to get there!

I know I've posted these verses before - but I don't think one can ever hear them enough:

"I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord." Psalm 40:1-3 (NIV)

Much love-
K

1 comment:

Paul D- said...

So glad to hear about your kidney function being better. You sound good -- Your verse is a good one - I like it. You and M. are in my prayers --
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
Francis of Assisi

HUGs