Sunday, August 2, 2009

Answered prayers for progress

I haven’t updated since my meeting with the doctor Friday afternoon. Overall it was a very positive meeting. My blood work is almost back to normal ranges. In fact my platelet count went from 117 to 155 (normal ranges from 140 – 400), the number of absolute neutrophils went from 1300 to 2600 (normal ranges are 1500-7800) in just a week, & my white blood cells are back in the normal range. I’m still a little low in red blood cells, hemoglobin and hematocrit but the numbers are coming up from the week before. My potassium had gone down again but that was due to all my stomach issues. It had been low before and she had gotten it back to normal ranges before so we know it won’t be a hard fix.

I am no longer having the intestinal issues that were causing me such problems, but we haven’t received the test results back as to whether or not I have any other bacterial or viral infection in my intestines, but neither the doctor nor I think that’s the case and that’s GOOD! We both feel that it was really just a case of medication overload for my system. I am still not taking oral meds until my stomach has been acting normal for 4-5 days so I could be starting back as soon as Wednesday. We devised a plan where I will only take the most important oral meds first and I’ll start off with 4 or 5 instead of trying to start back on all of them at once. A week later we’ll add a few more as long as my stomach is handling everything okay. We plan to gradually work back up slowly until I am finally able to take all the oral antibiotics and supplements that my body needs.

Another test result had come in showing I have high levels of bromide in my system. This is something that can come from foods, soft drinks, etc. and it can remain in your body in high levels for years. The problem with bromide being high is that it can keep your body from processing iodine properly. This test was really neat to me because my blood & urine tests have always shown my iodine levels to be normal (which I think she said was another way to check thyroid function). However, this test showed my iodine levels at the beginning and yes, they were normal. However, I was then given 4 iodine pills to take and the test runs over the next 24 hours to see how my body absorbs the iodine. Basically a person who processed iodine normally would show a 90% intake level. Mine was only 60% and that signifies a problem. This is why my doctor here is so amazing. She didn’t just look at the first test & say, “Oh, you’re not low in iodine.” She tests to see how my body processes these different nutrients and elements to get a real look at how much my body actually absorbs. There’s a big difference in having a normal amount of something in my body and whether or not my body is actually able to break it down and put it to use! Iodine deficiency can cause loss of energy and impaired mental function. So we will work on getting the Bromide levels down so that I can get the necessary amount of iodine and in the meantime I will take iodine supplements (they will be added in slowly with the other supplements) as well.

Oh, and the aPTT test that monitors how fast my blood is clotting on the Heparin is within normal ranges which is great! It means my body is finally adjusting to the Heparin! That’s also probably why my platelet count is higher because before I believe my platelets were “sticking together” in my thick blood and causing problems. But now, even on the Heparin my blood is clotting just as it should in a healthy person who doesn’t require a blood thinner/anti-coagulant. The Heparin is really what I think is helping me feel so much better mentally. I am still very tired of course, but I am laughing a lot again and I am able to stand up without my heart going nuts and I am getting much better blood and oxygen flow to my brain now! I’m not healthy by any means yet, but oh, I cannot tell you how good it feels to just see and feel these small improvements. I see progress and that means I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I am not sure how long I will have to stay out here but my doctor and I did discuss how I wouldn’t have been able to make this progress without the IV meds because my stomach just wasn’t up to absorbing oral meds (and we’re hoping it will be up to the challenge here soon!). She told me she needed to be able to have me here in the clinic so she could closely monitor both my progress and any setbacks I had – like the bleeding and tummy troubles. I am praying that I get well soon and can continue treatment on oral meds at home, but I know that is something that I want and it might not be in God’s plan for that to come about as quickly as I’d like. I think I’m finally okay with that too. Treatment is very hard on the body and none of this has been easy, but I trust that God lead me here to a doctor who knows more than any doctor I’ve met before! I trust that God has all sorts of good reasons for me to be away from home, friends, and family during this time. I personally believe that it might be to allow me to learn how to care for myself again. I’m not up to staying out here by myself yet, but I do hope over the next month or so that it won’t be necessary to have a 24/7 caregiver. I would like to be able to be the person who goes to the grocery store or be able to fix my own meal. Right now I can’t even drive myself around so these things will take time! But, I would like for mom to be able to be home with dad and my sister, my brother-in-law and the grandchildren she adores! I would like for my sweet M to be able to work and not have that worry hanging over his head about me and how I feel.

Now, all of this is good news and yes, I feel that progress is being made. But I must stress again that this is a rollercoaster ride and the doctor continues to stress that I need to keep on expecting to have the good days along with the bad. It’s just part of the healing process as we rid my body of all these infections and diseases. I don’t mind that. I feel so very blessed right now. Even knowing that there will be more bad days to come, I feel peace. I know I am where I am meant to be and God is with me giving me the strength and courage I need to just take it day by day. I don’t know what tomorrow will bring, but I trust that God will be with me and I will hunker down and get through all of this by leaning on Him. I give him all the praise and glory for the small miracles I am seeing in my body these days. God is good and He is holding me up and even carrying me when I need Him to get me through. I am constantly in awe of how strong He is and how amazing His love is for someone as imperfect as me! I appreciate all of my “earthly angels” – meaning all of you who read this and keep up with me and pray for my continued progress. I feel your love all of the time and I am humbled by your selfless acts of kindness for me. I’ve gotten the sweetest cards, comments, emails, text messages, etc! I have to thank my sweet cousins for the wonderful package I received a week or so ago! Alecia, Leslie, and Nelda thank you SO much for all the books and thoughtful gifts! I’ve wanted to send you all a thank you note but I’m not there energy wise yet! As soon as I feel up to it though I have a stack of thank you notes to write!!! Believe me – by the end of all of this I bet each one of you out there reading this will probably receive a thank you card for just your continued love, your faithful reading of my journey which helps keep me from feeling alone, and of course for all your thoughts and prayers. Having said how wonderful you all are to go through this with me I will end with this:

“Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.” Galatians 6:2 (NIV)

You all have helped me carry this burden by praying for me and letting me know you care! As for me, I am learning every day to lean on the Lord and to not worry as much. That’s been a hard lesson for me because I have control issues and whenever I have felt out of control of my situation in life I have been overcome with worry. Now I am finally realizing that there is no need to worry – instead I am learning to step out in faith one day at a time. I am constantly asking the Lord to be with me, to teach me, to hold me up, to help me when I am weak and He has never failed me! Every day I have to remind myself to stop trying to control things or worry about things and just trust in God’s plan. So the verse that my sweet cousins sent to me on a plaque has a special significance to this time in my life and I’ll share it before I go:

“Set your mind on things above, not on earthly things.” Colossians 3:2 (NIV)

Every day I set my mind and my heart toward God and I ask that He make me strong enough to get through all of this and I pray that as I do I reach out and help others who might need it. I pray that He keeps me focused not just on my physical healing, but also on being a good friend to others here who have been through so much more than I and who suffer physically and mentally so much more than I do. I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday and a great week ahead. I trust that as I start slowly back on the medications I will feel God strengthen me as He helps my body heal. Much love to you all!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you have gotten some good news. I know that you are on the road to recovery and have faith that you will continue to get good news. I pray that you have a good week and continue to feel stronger as God carries you through this journey. I love you very much!

Stacye

KBF said...

Karen-

Glad that you have some positive news and that you are feeling a little better. I hope you can continue to build on that!

Karly

Anonymous said...

Kate,

I am so sorry about the latest developments but know that you will be able to come through this challenge also. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger and you are one of the strongest people I know. M & M, Kat, your family and the rest of us who know you are blessed to have been touched, even for a little while, by your soul. You are one of God's angels and whether you know it or not you shine a beautiful light on the world around you.

You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Love always,

EMM