Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Quick update

First I'll have you know that the doctor did keep me on the Ativan & Valium as the only oral meds I can take since we know those are not the cause of the intestinal problems. I am glad about that because it helps my nerves and anxiety so much.

However, at the end of day 3 of no oral medications I am still no better. They have run some tests and aren't able to figure out the cause of the "frequent bathroom visits". I give samples and they run tests and tomorrow I will give some blood as well. All of this is very draining and makes me feel weak and tired. I think Saturday will mark 2 solid weeks of this problem and I am so ready to get past it!

Just praying that they can find some answers soon. Oh, & I can't remember if I wrote this earlier but the doctor moved my appt. up to Friday at 3:00 so hopefully she can help shed some light on all of this. As for now I'm just praying for the strength to get through the IV treatments every day. Tonight I've run a little bit of fever so I'm wondering if I somehow picked up a bacterial or viral infection from my fun visit to the ER where germs love to hang out!

I'm not going to pretend that I'm not frustrated because I am. But, I always try and remember that things could be so much worse. Yes I feel like crap right now, but I see people every day who feel worse. I try very hard to maintain my sense of humor about it all. Although I must admit my humor is quite irreverant and some people might not find it funny - but I do. I have to keep on laughing because it's either laugh or cry. Right now I know there is no middle of the road for me emotionally speaking so I am choosing to laugh. I mean, you should see me trying to scoot quickly to the restroom pushing my IV pole and holding my Cottonelle wipes and telling people, "Out of the way...don't make me have to use my puppy pad!!!" I'm clumsy and that only makes it all more comical to watch. I tend to forget to lower my IV pole and will often times clang it into the top of the doorway. This often causes me to say, "K - geesh - watch the pole you idiot" and yes, I talk to myself out loud so everyone gets to hear me admonish myself. They really laugh when I answer myself with something like "Well, K I can only focus on one problem at a time right now and getting to the bathroom is more important than being graceful with the IV pole."

So yes, I feel like crap - literally - haha. BUT this too shall pass and I know it will. I trust that God is working in me and around me and He always has ways of making me see things so that I don't just fall down in the floor and pitch a good old fashioned fit. He allows me to see all the things I have to be thankful for and how lucky I am to be here. I always pray that once I am well I NEVER lose sight of how very precious being healthy is. It is a gift and like so many other gifts from God we humans often take it for granted too often.

So, there's my update. I'm hanging in there just fine - I'm dealing with the tests, the meds, the side effects, the other patients, etc. as best as I can. I feel like an old pro at this now. I almost remember EVERY single nurses name (which is huge because there's like 15 of them that switch out shifts & we all know how bad I am with names these days!). Anyway, hopefully the stomach issues will calm down and I can get back to the business of healing, taking supplements and most importantly, allowing God to always work through me so that other people can feel His love coming out of me. I know that He has big plans for me up here that include more than just me getting my health back. I'm praying daily that He shows me what all He wants me to accomplish while I am here and what people He wants me to reach out to specifically.

I love you all and I hope that you keep on reading my rants and praying for me and everyone else in the clinic. Some of them really don't hold out much hope for healing and that breaks my heart because without hope and faith I can't imagine how I would handle going through this. I pray that God tells me when to keep my own thoughts quiet and allow the Holy Spirit to speak through my mouth with encouraging and loving words.

Okay, so it's official - I am not good at giving "quick updates" - sorry. I'll leave you with this:

"I will be your God throughout your lifetime - until your hair is white with age. I made you and I will care for you. I will carry you along and save you." Isaiah 46:4 (NLT)

4 comments:

Rena said...

I can just hear you talking to yourself:-)! Have they tried probiotics? Surely the antibiotics have killed all the good bacteria in your gut. I'm not a doctor, but they have done tremendous things for my GI tract. Even just some Activia might help??? Hugs

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to throw a big hug your way and let you know that I love you! And keep up your sense of humor, it does help alot.

Stacye

K said...

Rena I was on Probiotics b/c the amount of antibiotics does kill off the "good bacteria" along with the bad, but that's apparently not the problem. Hopefully I'll have some more answers tomorrow.

Love you!!

Rena said...

Praying for answers for you. Big hugs:-) I'd rather anything be wrong with me than a sick tummy.