Thursday, May 14, 2009

Disappointment passes...

Well, the nephrologist was not helpful. He looked over my medical records (flipped through would be more appropriate) and said, "I can see you are very ill, but I don't know how I can help you. You've seen some really good doctors and with such vague symptoms I think the best I can do is try to help figure out why you're making so many kidney stones."

At this point I really don't give a rip about my kidney stones. I tried to convey this thought, but I was tired and just having to go there wore me out. I knew within 10 minutes that this man was not going to help me much. In fact, he seemed more concerned about whether I had ever had to seek treatment for an eating disorder. If not for M telling him that I have always eaten like a truck driver and that my weight loss of 26 pounds this year is completely unintentional, I think he may have suggested that I see a shrink about anorexia. M was getting irritated too and said that I always get 1,800 to 2,000 calories per day. Oh, but he wants to see me again in a month. M & I didn't make that appointment. I mean, he actually told us he couldn't help us "with everything that's wrong" and by June 10th we'll in Kansas City seeing a doctor who CAN help us with everything - THANK YOU LORD!

GOOD NEWS?? Well, yes. The Florinef seems to be working and my blood pressure, while still very low, is at least a bit more stable. It is also keeping my heart rate from going into the 170s. I am still in pain, but I can handle pain. I am hoping that as the Florinef keeps the fluid in my body that the pain will ease off. So, if I need to go back to Dr. G 2-3 times a week and get IV fluids until June 10th, so be it.

I came home disappointed and I went straight to sleep for a couple of hours. Then some good friends brought dinner over! After they left I checked facebook and found so many sweet messages from people who just wanted to let me know they were praying for me. So, after some good food and some sweet thoughts, I'm not disappointed - I'm blessed. It just took a good nap, a full belly and some prayers for me to realize it.

6 comments:

Irene Latham said...

I found you! SO glad you are doing this. Your words are AWESOME. Keep going!

K said...

Thank Irene. I feel like my words don't come as easily these days. I have gotten to where I only let myself re-read something once before I post it because if I keep reading, I'll just keep finding errors...ha!

KristiChurchMiller said...

I am sorry that the kidney dr. was not our man. I am, however, like you and very relieved that Dr. G will see you as often as needed until you get to KC. Love you, girlie, through all the ups and downs <3

K said...

Thanks Church - and I love you too :)

Rena said...

We are still praying for some answers for you! I was really hoping this doctor would be helpful. I can't believe he just dismissed you like that!!! I've had so many docs tell me I need pyschiatric drugs rather than help me with what is really wrong. Keep up the faith girl. Hugs, R

K said...

Thanks Rena! M & I are so used to being "dismissed" by doctors now that within 24 hours we were really doing a good impression of the doctor and his "concerned look" over my apparent anorexia...lol! I am keeping the faith - just 24 days until KC!!! YEA!